PORT ARTHUR —
Information from the Port Arthur Convention and Visitors Bureau
Brian Best and Lora James are two headliners for the 5th annual Zachary Breaux Jazz Festival, June 8-9 in downtown Port Arthur. It honors Breaux, who has been hailed as a musician ahead of his time. Breaux grew up in Port Arthur and was 36 when he died attempting to save the life of another swimmer in Miami Beach. He had successfully saved a swimmer before.
“He had made so many imprints in the world of music,” Doris Hayes, festival organizer, said.
European musicians closely follow the festival, because so many of them played with Breaux, she said.
Local and regional acts will fill the Procter Street Pavilion. Advance tickets are $12 for Friday and $18 for Saturday; Gate prices are $15 for Friday and $20 for Saturday. Bring lawn chairs and visit vendors for food, drink and more.
The schedule is:
Friday, June 8
- 6 p.m. – Houston Jazz Caravan
- 6:45 p.m. – JAWAD
- 7:30 p.m. – George Hill & Friends
- 8:30 p.m. – Theresa Grayson
- 9:45 p.m. Lil Wayne Singleton, Zydeco artist
- 11 p.m. – Brian Best
Saturday, June 9
- 1:30 p.m. – Charles Bilal & Solar System Band
- 2:30 p.m. – Ron Rocio & The Flava Band
- 3:30 p.m. – Act to be announced
- 4:30 p.m. – Joe Carmouche
- 5:45 p.m. – Althea Rene
- 7 p.m. – Texas Brass Band
- 8 p.m. – Kyle Turner
- 9:15 p.m. – Michael Ward
- 10:30 p.m. – Dean James
- 11:30 p.m. – Lora Sims
For information, call Doris Hays, (409) 982-8394 or (409) 985-9977 or visit zacharybreauxjazz festival.com.